GemSelect proudly provides gemstone certification for almost all of the gemstone varieties we offer.
Gemstone certification can be quite a hassle, not to mention very time consuming. Although most jewelers are experts when it comes to diamonds, when it comes to colored stones, many jewelers have very limited knowledge. Jewelers will often attempt to identify a colored gemstone based only on its appearance, but we all know that gemstone identification by appearance is impossible! It's like judging a book by its cover. Gemological testing requires special equipment that most jewelers simply do not have.
For the above reasons GemSelect offers certification from well-respected gemological laboratories.
Gemstone certification for items on our website is completely optional. If you would like certification, it can be requested from any one of our gemstone detail pages prior to checking out. We also offer complimentary company reports, which can be previewed before buying gemstones by clicking on "Certificate Options" above the "Add to Cart" button. Once the gemstone has been purchased, the complimentary gem report can be accessed via the customer account. To do this, simply login to your account, select "Order History" and then click on "show details". You will see an option below each listed item to "Download Identification Report". Simply click on this and print out your PDF report.
Please see below for our certification options and details.
Please Note: The certificate must be added before adding the item to your shopping cart and prior to checking out. Once your order has been processed, it will be too late to amend the order because the actual gemstone must taken to the lab for inspection in order to provide a certificate.
Gem Certification Laboratory Options
Gem certification and the pricing below is based on single gemstone testing only. Therefore if your order consists of a single order composed of two or more gemstones (such as a matching pair or lot), the lab will test only one specimen from the pair or lot.
We currently offer brief identification reports from your choice of two well-respected independent gemological laboratories:
- International Colored Gemstone Association Laboratory (ICA GemLab)
- ICA GemLab is located in Bangkok, Thailand. ICA GemLab operates in affiliation with the International Colored Gemstone Association (ICA), and is one of the leading international gemological labs for colored gemstones.
- Cost: USD 30.00 per stone
- Turnaround Time: 8-12 working days
- Burapha Gemological Laboratory (BGL Lab)
- BGL Lab is located in Chanthaburi, Thailand. BGL is a very well-known and respected lab in the gem industry. They have recently expanded their services by opening a new testing facility inside the new Chanthaburi Gem and Jewelry Traders Association building.
- Cost: USD 15.00 per stone
- Turnaround Time: 3-4 working days
Please Note: We are not able to provide identification tests on very small gemstones that measure 2 millimeters and under, since local labs do not have the advanced equipment required for such small items.
Types of Gem Certificate Offered
The certificates issued by both ICA GemLab and BGL Gem Labs are:
"Brief identification reports".
The certificates can identify the gem type (natural or man-made) and they may also indicate whether or not the gemstone has been treated or enhanced (heated, fracture-filled, oiled, irradiated, etc). Please note that comments regarding treatments are usually only supplied for gems which if treated have a marked price difference, such as sapphire and ruby.
Note: Some treatments cannot be detected using standard equipment, such as beryllium diffusion, polymer stabilization or dyeing. These types of treatment may not be identified on the reports. Testing for uncommon treatments require special equipment which many laboratories do not have access to. Also, in many cases, testing for such treatments can only be confirmed by damaging the gemstone.
- Brief identification reports will not detail country of origin. Statements of origin are essentially opinions and only a few labs in the world can offer such opinions with confidence. However, we can offer these types of reports through ICA GemLab and BGL for an additional cost. Please contact our customer service directly if you are interested in this service. We recommend this only for those types of gems which can vary in value depending on their origin (Examples: Burma Ruby, Ceylon Sappire, Colombian Emerald).
- Brief identification reports are not appraisal certificates; they do not provide grading reports for color, clarity or value.
- Brief identification reports are for the sole purpose of scientifically identifying gem type only (and whether or not it is natural). Brief identification reports will not tell you what a gemstone is worth.
Here is a sample of an ICA GemLab brief identification report:
Here is a sample of a BGL brief identification report:
ICA GemLab and BGL brief reports are ideal for those seeking assurance of authenticity and gemstone type. Reports from these labs can be obtained at minimal expense, which is why they are highly recommended. The gemologists are experts in their field, though they tend to be non-native English speakers.
Prices for services in Thailand are much more affordable than they are in other areas of Asia, Europe, America and Australia.
- Prima Pubblicazione: febbraio-20-2006
- Ultima modifica: giugno-14-2021
- © 2005-2021 GemSelect.com tutti i diritti riservati. La riproduzione (testo o grafica) senza l'espresso consenso scritto di GemSelect.com (SETT Company Ltd.) è severamente vietata.
Categorie di articoli
Numero totale di articoli: 1865
Informazioni sulla pietra preziosa AZ
La più grande selezione di articoli di pietre preziose online...
Storia delle pietre preziose
Dettagli affascinanti di antiche pietre preziose fatti e storie
Trova articoli utili su come si fanno le cose con le pietre preziose...
Gemme ordinate per colore
Il modo più semplice per trovare le gemme ordinate per colore
Informazioni sulle gemme per regione
Trova informazioni sulle pietre preziose per località specifiche
Informazioni tecniche sulle pietre preziose
Scopri i dettagli tecnici e i fatti che circondano il...
Forma e taglio della pietra preziosa
Articoli sugli stili di taglio che diventano ruvidi non lucidati...
Trattamenti migliorativi sulle pietre
Calore, irradiazione, riempimento di fratture e altro ancora: tutte le informazioni...