Do you provide certificates for your gems?
Yes, you may order a certificate when you add an item to your cart. To do this, click the link "add gem certificate for this item" on the item detail page above the "add to cart" button. This will open the certificate options.
We will take your gem to an independent gemological laboratory for testing and will send you the certificate with your order. Click here for more information.
We also offer complimentary company reports, which can be previewed before buying gemstones by clicking on "Certificate Options" above the "Add to Cart" button. Once the gemstone has been purchased, the complimentary gem report can be accessed via the customer account. To do this, simply login to your account, select "Order History" and then click on "show details". You will see an option below each listed item to "Download Identification Report". Simply click on this and print out your PDF report.
Gem Certification Laboratory Options
Gem certification and the pricing below is based on single gemstone testing only. Therefore if your order consists of a single order composed of two or more gemstones (such as a matching pair or lot), the lab will test only one specimen from the pair or lot.
We currently offer brief identification reports from your choice of two well-respected independent gemological laboratories:
- The Asian Institute of Gemological Sciences (AIGS). AIGS Lab is located in Bangkok, Thailand. AIGS is one of the leading international gemological labs for colored gemstones.
Cost: USD 30 per stone
Turnaround Time: 5-10 working days
- Burapha Gemological Laboratory (BGL Lab). BGL Lab is located in Chanthaburi, Thailand. BGL is a very well-known and respected lab in the gem industry. They have recently expanded their services by opening a new testing facility inside the new Chanthaburi Gem and Jewelry Traders Association building.
Cost: USD 15 per stone
Turnaround Time: 3-4 working days
Please Note: We are not able to provide identification tests on very small gemstones that measure 2 millimeters and under, since local labs do not have the advanced equipment required for such small items.
Types of Gem Certificate Offered
The certificates issued by both AIGS and BGL Gem Labs are:
"Brief identification reports".
The certificates can identify the gem type (natural or man-made) and they may also indicate whether or not the gemstone has been treated or enhanced (heated, fracture-filled, oiled, irradiated, etc). Please note that comments regarding treatments are usually only supplied for gems which if treated have a marked price difference, such as sapphire and ruby.
Note: Some treatments cannot be detected using standard equipment, such as beryllium diffusion, polymer stabilization or dyeing. These types of treatment may not be identified on the reports. Testing for uncommon treatments require special equipment which many laboratories do not have access to. Also, in many cases, testing for such treatments can only be confirmed by damaging the gemstone.
- Brief identification reports will not detail country of origin. Statements of origin are essentially opinions and only a few labs in the world can offer such opinions with confidence. However, we can offer these types of reports through AIGS and BGL for an additional cost. Please contact our customer service directly if you are interested in this service. We recommend this only for those types of gems which can vary in value depending on their origin (Examples: Burma Ruby, Ceylon Sappire, Colombian Emerald).
- Brief identification reports are not appraisal certificates; they do not provide grading reports for color, clarity or value.
- Brief identification reports are for the sole purpose of scientifically identifying gem type only (and whether or not it is natural). Brief identification reports will not tell you what a gemstone is worth.
Here is a sample of an AIGS brief identification report:
Here is a sample of a BGL brief identification report:
AIGS and BGL brief reports are ideal for those seeking assurance of authenticity and gemstone type. Reports from these labs can be obtained at minimal expense, which is why they are highly recommended. The gemologists are experts in their field, though they tend to be non-native English speakers.
- 初刊: February-20-2006
- 最終アップデート: July-03-2017
- © 2005-2019 GemSelect.com all rights reserved.
ウェブサイト上のテキストまたは画像を GemSelect.com (SETT Company Ltd.)の許可なく使用することは固く禁じられています。.